Engineering (Manufacturing Pathway) BTEC 90 Credit Level 3 Diploma Edexcel at Brooklands College
This qualification is designed to give you an introduction to the broad range of analytical, design and manufacturing skills required by a manufacturing engineering technician.
You will spend time developing your skills and knowledge through a balance of theory and practical lessons, during which you will learn how to use 3D CAD, how to weld, how to fabricate and how to machine. Together with these, you will develop your analytical ability by stretching your mathematical and scientific knowledge associated with the manufacturing engineering industry. The 90 Credit Diploma is equivalent to 1.5 A-Levels or 3 AS Levels.
You will study all of the following units:
• Health and Safety in the Engineering Workplace
• Mechanical Principles and Applications
• Mathematics for Engineering Technicians
• Computer Aided Drafting for Technicians
• Mechanical Measurement and Inspection Techniques
• Setting and Proving Secondary Processing Machines
• Engineering Secondary and Finishing Techniques
• Fabrication Processes and Technology
• Welding Technology
Learners must have achieved a minimum of GCSE grade B in Mathematics and Science including a minimum of a grade C in English with at least 2 other GCSE’s at grade C. Alternatively, a level 2 vocational qualification at merit level that includes Maths and Science units both of which need to be at a minimum of merit level.
Level 3 Edexcel BTEC 90 Credit Diploma in Engineering (Manufacturing Pathway)
- All units on the main programme are assessed through written assignments and phase tests for which you will be able to achieve pass, merit and distinction grades.
Are there any extra costs?
• Pens, pencils, ruler, protractor, compass, eraser, line paper and a ring binder
• Steel or composite toe safety shoes or boots (can be arranged by Brooklands College)
• One piece Brooklands College Engineering Overalls (available on enrolment)
• Safety glasses.
Cost for boots and overalls approximately £30.
All learners materials - £50
Students are allocated a certain amount of free printing, after which a small fee will be incurred.
The natural progression from this course is onto the Level 3 Edexcel BTEC Diploma/Extended Diploma in Manufacturing Engineering. To do so, your attendance, punctuality and achievement will be assessed over the year you are studying the Level 3 Edexcel BTEC 90 Credit Diploma in Engineering. As a minimum you will be expected to have achieved a merit grade overall and at least a merit in the Maths and Mechanical Principles unit.
This qualification also provides UCAS points for entry into Higher Education. Depending on your overall grade for the qualification and if you are over 18 years of age, you could be in a position to apply though UCAS for a place at a University, typically on an Engineering course of your choosing.
If you wish to progress out to employment or into an apprenticeship in manufacturing engineering these are also potential options.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Brooklands College directly.