Accessibility links

Sociology AS AQA 2190 at Sandown Bay Academy

Course description

Sociology is the study of society but sociologists cannot agree on the type of society that we live in. For example, is it still a male dominated world? Does social class still matter? Is the internet changing the way that we live? What is the best way of testing these debates? The AS Course explores the diversity and changes in relationships, marriage, divorce and childhood. We will also examine the changing role of the education system and competing explanations for differences in pupil exam results. Sociology is a popular and highly interesting subject and we have an outstanding record of results in the subject. AS Units: Unit 1 Families and Households Written Paper: 1 hour. Weighting: 40% of total AS / 20% of total A Level marks Unit 2: Education and Sociological Research Methods Written Paper: 2 hours. Weighting: 60% of total AS / 30% of total A Level marks EXTRA FEATURES: Students have the opportunity to attend conferences with leading sociologists and examiners in London. Half price subscription to Sociology Review magazine is available to Sandown students. One-to-one and small group additional support is available in the ‘Sociology Surgery’.

Entry requirements

A grade C or better in GCSE English Language is required. An interest in news and current affairs will be more than useful.

Future opportunities

POSSIBLE PROGRESSION: Sociology is accepted as an A level by all major universities. It is useful preparation for any course or career involving people, research or problem solving. It is particularly useful for careers such as law, media, criminology, education, business and public sector management, health, marketing, housing, civil service, local government, youth work, social work and the police . SUGGESTED SUBJECT COMBINATIONS: Sociology combines well with any other subject or course. There are useful overlaps with Psychology, History, Media, Law, Business Studies, English, Philosophy, Politics and the Sciences. Sociology has recently featured on Cambridge University’s list of recommended A Level subjects. You could take this course to complement other advanced level courses or to prepare for the A2 part of an Advanced GCE in Sociology, which could lead you onto higher education in one or more of the Social Sciences such as Sociology, Development Studies, Anthropology or more general higher education courses. With further training, you could go into a job related to Sociology and people such as a Social Worker, Teacher, Social Researcher or a more general position working within the Social Services. You could also go straight into a job as the AS GCE is a recognised qualification that will help you develop the skills, understanding and knowledge that many employers across lots of industries are looking for, especially in the health and social care sectors.

Further information

To find out more about this qualification, contact us, ask your Connexions Personal Adviser or school/college careers staff.

How to apply

If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Sandown Bay Academy directly.

Last updated date: 20 May 2014
Provider logo

Key information

  • Start date: Next September
  • Duration: 1 year