Business Pathway AS Level at Milton Keynes College
Are you able to develop good working relationships? Do you enjoy problem solving? Interested in learning about business organisations, policy and management skills? This career path will give you the skills needed to develop your knowledge and understanding of business organisations, strategies and project management.
You will study Business with A Level subjects from:
Accounting, Law, Psychology, Sociology
The Business Pathway allows you to develop a broad understanding of business organisations and business policy and strategy, providing you with subject-specific knowledge in areas such as finance, marketing, advertising and PR, human resources, sales and customer service and business management. Business issues are often addressed at a European and international level.
Studying this pathway will allow you to build your commercial awareness and develop extremely versatile skills which will be useful in many careers, not simply within a business background. These include:
- an understanding of organisational behaviour and structure
- analytical and critical thinking
- a creative approach to problem solving
- persuasive written and oral communication
- the ability to research, interpret and use business and financial data
- self-reliance, initiative and the ability to manage time, projects and resources
- appreciation of the causes and effects of economic and other external changes
These skills and knowledge will also support you to start your own business.
Please note: content is subject to accreditation, specifications are currently in draft form.
To join one of our A Level Pathways, you will need to meet two requirements:
- 5 GCSEs Grade A*- C including GCSE English Language. (to also include Maths to study A Level Accounting and to also include Maths and Double Award Science to study A Level Psychology)
- An overall qualification score of a minimum of 20 points based on the following calculations:
- GCSE: A/A* = 5, B = 4, C = 3, D= 2, E = 1
- BTEC Level 2 Diploma: Distinction = 20, Merit = 16, Pass = 12
- BTEC Level 2 Certificate: Distinction = 10, Merit = 8, Pass = 6
All A Level assessment is by written examination.
Once qualified, careers within the business profession vary according to what field you are interested in, for example:
- Financial Planning
- Investment Management
- Sales and Marketing
- Brand Management
- Customer Service Management
- Project Management
Accountants understand and manage the finances of many types of organisations, Financial Planners help clients to achieve personal financial goals throughout life. Investment Managers manage individuals’ and organisations’ assets and deal with pensions. A role within sales and marketing will involve selling company goods and services to new and existing customers whilst identifying new markets and business opportunities. Marketing can involve designing promotional activities, producing literature and organising conferences and media coverage.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Milton Keynes College directly.