Animal Management (Agriculture and Countryside Pathway) Extended Diploma Level 3 at Kingston Maurward College
This advanced course is suitable for anyone considering a career working with animals within the farming or countryside industries.
Through a mix of lecture, practical demonstrations, academic study and work experience, this two year course will combine advancing your animal management skills with a comprehensive understanding of ecology, estate skills, animal handling and livestock.
Working with a wide range of animals at the animal science centre, animal park and college farm, you will also gain additional knowledge and qualifications to enhance your prospects of employment or further study either directly within the animal industry or transfer to a similar industry.
Year 2 units include:
- Understand the principles of animal biology
- Undertake and review work related experience in the land based industries
- Undertake an investigative project in the land based sector
- Understand the principles of animal breeding and genetics
- Understand the principles of animal nutrition
- Understand the principles and carry out the practice of biochemistry and microbiology
- Understand the principles of aquatics husbandry and management
- Understand the principles and carry out the practice of wildlife populations, ecology and conservation
- Understand and undertake wildlife management and rehabilitation
Four GCSEs Grade C or above - to include English, maths and science OR Level 2 qualification in animal care with distinction plus Level 2 functional skills. Recent experience of working with animals is essential.
Courses leading to a qualification are FREE for British citizens, aged under 19 years on 31 August in the academic year you start your course.* However, there may be some additional costs for clothing/kit and trips depending on your course. You can apply to the Bursary Fund for extra help towards the cost of transport, food, equipment or childcare.
Veterinary Nurse (with further training), Veterinary reception, Animal Nursing Assistant, Animal Parks/Animal visitor attractions, Zoo Keeper, Kennels and catteries, Animal Care Worker/Supervisor, Farm worker, Pet shop work, Dog Grooming Assistant, Conservation work.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Kingston Maurward College directly.