English Language A level at Cannock Chase High School
English Language is an ideal choice for those who love writing and who enjoy the imaginative or analytical challenge of texts as well as the process of writing. The basis for this course is students’ independent understanding of a variety of language and texts and to:
- develop and apply their understanding of the concepts and methods appropriate for the analysis and study of language;
- explore data and examples of language in use;
- engage creatively and critically with a varied programme for the study of English;
- develop their skills as producers and interpreters of language.
English language will build on the knowledge, understanding and skills established at GCSE level. The course will introduce students to the concepts and methods of the disciplines of English language in relation to a wide range of spoken and written forms of English, including electronic and multimodal forms. Students’ contextual study of language is based on sound theoretical knowledge developed through a coherent course of study. Examples of topics covered include:
• Textual Variations and Representations
• Children's Language Development
• Language Diversity and Change
• Language Discourses
• Writing skills
• Language Investigation
• Original Writing
- Phonetics, phonology and prosodics: how speech sounds and effects are articulated and analysed
- Lexis and semantics (words and meanings): the vocabulary of English, including social and historical variation
- Grammar including word formations: the structural patterns and shapes of English at
- sentence, clause, phrase and word level
- Pragmatics: the contextual aspects of language use
- Discourse (spoken language): extended stretches of communication occurring in different genres, modes and contexts
- Historical, geographical, social and individual varieties of English
- Aspects of language and identity
B grade or above in GCSE English.
Industry, teaching, law, Journalism, marketing as well as a wealth of other professions.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Cannock Chase High School directly.