Mathematics & Further Mathematics at The Burgate School and Sixth Fom centre
Mathematics is a rich and fascinating subject in its own right. However, it also provides an important background to the study of many other subjects.
Mathematics will help you to make sense of the world in which we live and enable you to explore and analyse a variety of problems, enabling you to apply powerful mathematical and statistical techniques to solve them.
The determination and creativity required to solve problems in mathematics are clearly highly regarded, transferable skills and adults with an A Level in this subject are in great demand and benefit from increased earning power.
The AS and A2 courses each consist of three units, two of core mathematics and one of applied mathematics.
- The core units focus on algebra, calculus and trigonometry and have a strong emphasis on understanding the graphs of a number of functions.
- Mechanics is the study of forces and objects in motion and you will look at the mathematics of projectiles, collisions, friction, stability and much else besides.
- You will also study Statistics, which involves gathering and analysing data and the study of probability theory.
All units carry anequal weighting in the final A Level grade.
In order to study Further Mathematics you must also opt for the A Level course.
You will then study two additional core units, introducing you to many new areas of mathematics including the wonderful world of imaginary numbers and matrices.
You will also study Mechanics and Statistics in greater depth and be introduced to Decision Mathematics; the mathematics behind many algorithms usedin problem solving.
This course is best suited to able and enthusiastic mathematicians.
- Grade B and preferably grade A in GCSE Mathematics.
- For Further Mathematics an A or A* in GCSE Mathematics.
You will need to purchase a scientific and/or graphical calculator.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact The Burgate School and Sixth Fom centre directly.