French A level at Langley Park School for Girls
You are encouraged to:-
- Develop an interest in, and enthusiasm for, language learning
- Develop understanding of the language in a variety of contexts and genres
- Communicate confidently, clearly and effectively in the language for a range of purposes
- Develop awareness and understanding of the contemporary society, cultural background and heritage of countries or communities where the language is spoken
- Consider your study of the language in a broader context
- Derive enjoyment and benefit from language learning
- Acquire knowledge, skills and understanding for practical use, further study and/or employment
- Communicate with speakers of the language
- Take your place in a multilingual global society
- Take advantage of all opportunities to take part in cultural events and foreign trips
Grade 6 GCSE
Knowledge, understanding and skills are closely linked in this course. You will continue to develop your ability to:-
- Understand and respond in speech and writing to a variety of authentic spoken and written sources.
- Apply grammar and syntax accurately.
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of aspects of French speaking society.
- Demonstrate flexibility when communicating both in speech and in writing.
- Use appropriate registers.
- Manipulate the language accurately to organise facts and ideas, present explanations, opinions and information.
- Transfer meaning from one language to another
- Analyse, hypothesise, evaluate, argue a case, justify, persuade, retort, develop arguments and present view points.
- Demonstrate your capacity for critical thinking.
- Paper 1: Listening, reading and translation, 1 hour 50 mins, Weighting: 40%
- Paper 2: Written response to works (literary texts and films) and translation, 2 hours 40 mins, Weighting: 30%
- Paper 3: Speaking (Discussion on a theme and on independent research project), 21-23 mins including 5 mins preparation, Weighting: 30%
French is a valuable component in many courses in Higher Education, particularly Business, Scientific and Technological courses but also service industries, engineering, legal, medical and financial sectors. The combined vocational and language elements of this course equip you with the skills necessary for later life, whether in the workplace or Further/Higher Education.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Langley Park School for Girls directly.