A Level Religious Studies at Hasmonean High School
This course provides a unique opportunity to study and appreciate the tremendous moral and rational strength of Judaism in the light of the various conceptual challenges it has met and dealt with throughout its history
Jewish Scriptures I
- Places the Biblical period into its historic setting;
- Analyses different literary styles;
- Examines the concept of covenant from creation to the Messianic Period;
- Studies the nature of suffering in light of G-D’s ultimate justice;
- Examines the prophetic messages of Elijah.
- Overviews the origins, content and purpose of the ך’’תנ ;תלמוד and
- Examines the nature of monotheism and the Chosen People concept;
- Discusses the complementary roles of men and women;
- Studies the development of prayer (private and public) from earliest times;
- Analyses concept of law and manner of its application in Jewish life.
Jewish Scriptures II provides more advanced textual and conceptual studies, emphasising the later prophets, specialising in themes of social justice and reward and punishment, an in-depth study of רות מגילת and selected texts from כתובים. Judaism II concentrates on four modern issues of controversy: the Messianic concept; the religious significance of the State of Israel; the influence of the Holocaust; and an understanding of the contemporary ideological divisions within Judaism.
Although a grade A at GCSE in Religious Studies is an advantage, it is not an essential requirement for acceptance onto the course. Students should have achieved a grade B or higher in GCSE English Language.
The course is modular and AS is free-standing. There is no coursework element. All units are examined in English and the ability to translate is not required.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Hasmonean High School directly.