Sport BTEC Level 3 at Pensby High School
A BTEC Subsidiary Diploma is a vocational qualification; it is a practical, work related course. You learn by completing projects and assignments that are based on realistic workplace situations, activities and demands. You focus on a particular subject area and develop a range of specialist skills and knowledge.
It is equivalent to one ‘A’ Level so when you have finished the course you can use it to get a job or a better job if you are already working. Or you can use it alongside other qualifications to go into higher education.
The course is made up of seven units.
All students take these core units:
- The Physiology of Fitness
- Principles of Anatomy and Physiology
- Assessing Risk in Sports
- Fitness Training and Programming
Pensby Option Units Hilbre Option Units.
- Practical Team Sports Practical Team/Individual Sports
- Sports Coaching Sports Nutrition
- Fitness Testing for Sport & Exercise Fitness Testing for Sport & Exercise
Grade C or above in GCSE PE, Merit or Distinction at BTEC Level 2. An interest in sport and physical education is essential.
An ability to meet deadlines is also essential.
All units are assessed and graded, and an overall grade for the qualification is awarded.
- Either internally or externally set assessment
- Grading as Pass, Merit or Distinction – with conceptualised grading criteria
- Flexibility in allowing school to design assessment instruments for each internally assessed unit
- Distinction = 120 UCAS points (A)
- Merit = 80 UCAS points (C)
- Pass = 40 UCAS points (E)
- Assessment based on assignments rather than written exams.
BTEC Subsidiary Diploma’s are valued by employers and higher education (universities and colleges)
If you want to get a job straight way you would work in:
- Sports Centres
- Leisure Centres
- Outdoor Activities Centres
If you decide to go to university or college and you have other qualifications, you could take a degree or a BTEC Higher National in subjects such as:
- Sports Studies
- Leisure Management
- Recreation Management
- Teacher Training
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Pensby High School directly.