Health and Social Care A Level at Ralph Allen School
This subject will be a great choice if:
• You can see yourself in primary, early years teaching, nursing, social work or any related career choices.
• You enjoy being with people and would like to work with people.
• You would like to develop high levels of confidence in communication styles and interaction with people.
• You care about difference and diversity and how to understand equality issues in society.
• You are interested in health and healthy lifestyles.
• You are good at organising your own work.
• You like working independently and the challenge of meeting deadlines.
Cambridge Technicals in Health and Social Care have been developed to meet the changing needs of the sector, and prepare students for the challenges they will face in Higher Education or employment. Cambridge Technicals in Health and
Social Care focuses on the skills, knowledge and understanding that today’s universities and employers demand. Students will practically apply their skills and knowledge in preparation for further study or the workplace.
Unit 1 - Developing effective communication in health and social care (course work)
Unit 2 - Equality, diversity and rights in health and social care (exam)
Unit 15 - Promoting health education (course work)
Units yet to be decided, but some possible options could include:
Anatomy and physiology for health and social care
Caring for children and young people
Psychological perspectives for health and social care
Sociological perspectives for health and social care
4 GCSEs at Grade 9-4, plus GCSE English and Mathematics at Grade 4 or above.
If you want to go into any health and social care profession this provides a really useful applied knowledge and understanding.
If you are interested in working with people in any capacity you will build up a confident skill base in communication and good understanding about human interaction.
The subject sits very well with any of the social sciences such as Psychology and Sociology, but does have a clear vocational focus. There are also strong links with Biology, Philosophy and Ethics, Food Technology, Physical Education and English Language.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Ralph Allen School directly.
Last updated date: 30 January 2018