Fashion BTEC Diploma Level 3 at Rainford High Technology College
The course will enable you to build a broad folder of work across a range of Fashion design & promotion disciplines. This is particularly advantageous if you want to apply for a degree course. You will have the opportunity to work with professional people on real externally set projects as well as developing your skills in areas of Fashion that may include:
- Fashion illustration
- Fashion communication
- Fashion promotion
- Trend Prediction
- Pattern cutting
- Garment making
- Fashion event management
- Fashion photography & Styling
- Textile construction & surface pattern
You will be encouraged to work imaginatively, creatively and independently at all times whilst exploring different fashion materials, techniques and processes. Throughout your studies you will produce an extensive design portfolio addressing specific assessment criteria and this body of work will be invaluable support for university or employment interviews.
- Through a range of creative design and/or make activities you will:
- develop your research and analysis skills as you study the work of current and influential designers and learn how to critically analyse their work
- improve your understanding of planning, presenting and annotating your own work
- respond to set tasks using both traditional and digital techniques as you develop 2D and 3D solutions
- regularly review and reflect on your work and make plans for your own personal development
- develop your skills and confidence in creating and presenting your work to others
You must have achieved at least a C grade at GCSE in Technology or Art and Design.
3 x Mandatory units:
Visual Recording and Communication
Externally set task with 5 weeks preparation time Portfolio/Written response/3 hour supervised assessment (33%)
Critical and Contextual Studies
Externally set task with 4 weeks preparation time Written response/5 hour supervised assessment (25%)
The Creative Process
Internally assessed/Practical/Portfolio (25%)
1 x Specialist unit:
Fashion Materials, Techniques and Processes
Internally assessed/Practical/Portfolio (17%)
You must complete the full two‐year programme of learning to achieve the qualification as it is the equivalent in size to one A‐Level.
The BTEC Level 3 Fashion course qualifies for UCAS points equivalent to one A level and many students who successfully complete this course often go on to study the subject at Foundation level or gain direct entry onto Degree courses or the workplace.
Careers in this field include:
Fashion Designer, Fashion Illustrator, Blogger, Fashion Journalist, Stylist, Costume designer, Buyer, Merchandiser, Fashion Magazine Editor, Trend Forecaster
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Rainford High Technology College directly.