English Language A Level at Stockton Sixth Form College
Why study English Language?
- I want to know more about how language works – its grammar, vocabulary and how we use it
- I want to explore the power language can have to influence people
- I enjoy analysing written and spoken texts
- I enjoy group work and contributing.
Topics such as
- How and why our language changes
- How children learn to communicate and
- Why there are regional and social differences in speech
Analysis of written, spoken and electronic texts
Exploring important issues about language, power and representation
Independent research of some topics
Much of the work is done by discussion in groups.
Stockton Sixth Form College prides itself on having options for students of different abilities, and would advise any prospective student interested in applying, whatever their predicted grades, to get in touch so that a suitable programme of study can be discussed.
The college has a flexible timetable whereby almost all combinations of subjects are possible. Students will be advised of any non-compatible subject choices, if appropriate, at enrolment.
By examination and through a small coursework element.
Careers which require a good understanding of the English language, such as journalism or broadcasting, teaching, PR, media, publishing, libraries and management.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Stockton Sixth Form College directly.