BTEC Applied Science at Swinton Academy
Today’s BTEC Nationals are demanding, as you would expect of the most respected applied learning qualification in the UK. You will have to choose and complete a range of units, be organised, take some assessments that we will set and mark, and keep a portfolio of your assignments. But you can feel proud to achieve a BTEC because, whatever your plans in life – whether you decide to study further, go on to work or an apprenticeship, or set up your own business – your BTEC National will be your passport to success in the next stage of your life.
Over two years you will study:
• Unit 1 Principles and applications of science
• Unit 2 Practical scientific procedures and techniques
• Unit 3 Science investigation Skills
And then one more optional unit choice including: Genetics, Diseases and Infections, Human Physiology, Organic Chemistry, Astronomy and Space Science.
5 GCSEs at grade C/5 or above, including Mathematics, English Language and Science.
The new BTEC national will assess you in three ways:
• Assignments - You will complete a series of tasks set in a work-related scenario and produce a portfolio of evidence.
• Tasks - In controlled conditions, you will complete a practical task tackling an everyday challenge
• Written Exam - You will draw on essential information to create written answers to practical questions in test conditions.
A BTEC National in Applied Science can lead to a wide range of careers or university options, including:
• Science Technician in the NHS/industry/public service
• HND/Degree in Applied Science/Nursing/Midwifery/Biology/Biomedical Science/Sport Science
• Science Journalist
For further information visit http://www.swintonacademy.org/
How to apply
You can apply for this course through UCAS Progress. Add this course to your favourites so you can start making an application.