Introduction to Professional Cookery Level 1 at St Helens College
Begin your culinary career here! Learn all of the basics that you'll need to secure your first job in the industry.
You'll be working in our kitchens from the start, learning the amazing knife skills that all chefs need, getting to know the kitchen equipment and cooking your first dishes.
You'll start by boiling, poaching and steaming, before moving onto stewing and braising, and finish with baking, roasting, grilling and frying.
During this course, you will cover the following units:
- Introduction to the catering and hospitality industry
- Food safety in catering
- Health and safety awareness for catering and hospitality
- Introduction to healthier foods and special diets Introduction to kitchen equipment
- Introduction to personal workplace skills
- Preparing and cooking food by boiling, poaching and steaming
- Preparing and cooking food by stewing and braising
- Preparing and cooking food by baking, roasting and grilling
- Preparing and cooking food by deep frying and shallow frying
- Regeneration of pre-prepared food
You will need four GCSEs at grade D or above, including English or maths.
English and maths forms an important part of your future, ensuring you achieve the best success in your chosen career. But don't worry, if you haven't got the desired grades, we will still have a course available for you.
You will be assessed by assignments, observations of preparing, cooking and serving food and short tests.
If you are a school leaver, aged 16-18, (under the age of 19 on or before 31st August 2016), you do not pay tuition fees or examination and registration fees and may be eligible for additional support depending on your financial situation.
After studying this course, experiencing the buzz in the kitchens and realising how rewarding it is to cook amazing food, you'll be able to progress onto the more advanced level 2 diploma in professional cookery.
This is your first step towards a culinary career. Working in restaurants, bars or hotels, this could take you as far as you want to go.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact St Helens College directly.