Uniformed Public Services - Level 3 BTEC 90 Credit Diploma at Vision West Nottinghamshire College
This course is excellent preparation if you want to enter a public uniformed service such as the fire service, police, armed forces or prison service.
The course aims to equip you with the necessary skills to apply for a variety of public services roles whilst gaining an insight to many aspects of the job, including the entry process.
Course units include:
- Fitness testing and training for the uniformed public services
- Leadership and teamwork in the public services
- Crime and its effects on society
- Government, policies and the public services
- Current and media affairs in the public services
- Citizenship, diversity and the public services
- Physical preparation, health and lifestyle for the public services
- Skills for land-based outdoor and adventurous activities
The programme of study will include a mandatory work placement which you will be expected to arrange and complete with an industry relevant employer. As part of your studies you will also be expected to participate in work experience, volunteering and fund raising for charities.
- Four GCSEs with at least 4 points (grade C) including English and maths.
You will need to attend an interview with the tutor before being accepted on to the course. You may also need to supply at least one written reference from a teacher or employer (in some cases two) and/or your current school or college report.
Mature students (those aged 21 or over) who do not have the qualifications required for entry may still be eligible, subject to an interview. Relevant experience, a strong portfolio of work and a commitment to the subject you wish to study may be acceptable for certain courses.
- Practical and task-based work
- Observation and fieldwork tasks
What can I go on to study?
- Level 3 BTEC Extended Diploma in Uniformed Public Services leading to...
- FdA Criminal Justice (Human Rights) available at the college
- Related university-level courses
- Related employment
- Police officers (sergeant and below)
- Fire service officers (watch manager and below)
- Officers in armed forces
- Prison service officers (below principal officer)
- Probation officers
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Vision West Nottinghamshire College directly.