Extended Project Qualification at Woolwich Polytechnic School for Boys
The Extended Project Qualification (EPQ) is equivalent to an AS level; candidates receive a grade between A* to E.
What is involved in the EPQ?
Learners are required, with appropriate supervision, to:
- choose an area of interest
- draft a title and aims of the project for formal approval by the course tutor
- plan, research and carry out the project (approx. 5000 words)
- deliver a presentation to a specified audience
- provide evidence of all stages of project development and production for assessment.
It offers opportunities for learners to:
- make a significant contribution to the choice and design of an extended project and take responsibility either for an individual task or for a defined task within a group project
- develop and improve their own learning and performance as critical, reflective and independent learners
- develop and apply decision-making and, where appropriate, problem-solving skills
- extend their planning, research, critical thinking, analysis, synthesis, evaluation and presentation skills
- where appropriate, develop confidence in applying new technologies in their studies develop and apply skills creatively, demonstrating initiative and enterprise
- use their learning experiences to support their aspirations for higher education and/or career development
- transfer skills developed as part of their extended project to other areas of study
As the EPQ will be based on a topic chosen by the student, it allows them to extend their abilities beyond the A-level syllabus and prepare for university or their future career.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Woolwich Polytechnic School for Boys directly.