IBDP Psychology at Broadgreen International School
1. Students will develop an awareness of how psychological research can be applied for the benefit of human beings.
2. Students will understand that ethical practices are upheld in psychological inquiry.
3. They will develop an understanding of the biological, cognitive and sociocultural influences on human behaviour.
4. Students will have an understanding of alternative explanations of behaviour.
5. Students will understand and use diverse methods of psychological inquiry.
The study of the biological level of analysis, the cognitive level of analysis and the sociocultural level of analysis comprises the core of the psychology course.
The three levels of analysis focus on three fundamental influences of behaviour:
The level of analysis approach reflects a modern trend in psychology towards integration and demonstrates how explanations offered by each of the three levels of analysis (biological, cognitive and sociocultural) complement one another and together provide more complete and satisfactory explanations of behaviour.
Options: The options have been chosen to provide continuity with the previous syllabus and to reflect developing fields in psychology.
There are five options:
• Abnormal psychology
• Developmental psychology
• Health psychology
• Psychology of human relationships
• Sport psychology
• Students at SL must study one option. Students at HL must study two options.
The study of the core (levels of analysis) provides a foundation and a broad overview of psychology, whereas the options allow students the opportunity to study a specialised areas of psychology in depth (including empirical studies and theories), according to their own particular interests
Grades A*-C in at least 6 GCSE subjects. Of these, English and Maths must be at Grade C or above. As well as an academic requirement, we expect you to demonstrate an interest in world events and a commitment to making a difference in your community. World citizenship is at the heart of the IB philosophy and we will be discussing your interests, experiences and aspirations at your interview.
How will I be assessed?
1 piece of coursework (research project) External examinations 2 at SL, 3 at HL
Studying Psychology will equip you with the skills and knowledge to understand human behaviour in everyday life. Psychology is applied to many aspects of life. Sports teams, the police, schools, businesses and the media, all utilise psychological theory to improve performance and understand behaviour.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Broadgreen International School directly.