A Level French at Conyers School
AS - Course & Module Description
At AS-level a thorough revision of language and grammar takes place in the first term, before more advanced concepts are introduced.
The four topics of study for AS are:
- Media - television, advertising, communication technology.
- Popular Culture - cinema, music, fashion and trends.
- Healthy living and lifestyle - sport and exercise, health and well-being, holidays.
- Family and relationships - relationships within the family, friendships, marriages and partnerships.
The four topics are examined in the following way:
Unit 1 – Listening, Reading and Writing Exam: 2 hour written examination in June
70% of AS grade, 35% of A-level (110 marks)
Unit 2 – Speaking Test: 35 minutes speaking test (including 20 minutes preparation) in May
30% of AS, 15% of A Level (50 marks)
A2 - Course & Module Description
The A2 course continues to build upon the AS grammar work covered, whilst focussing on developing reading, listening, writing and speaking (debating) skills in the following topic areas:
- Environment: pollution, energy, protecting the planet.
- The multi-cultural society: immigration, integration, racism.
- Contemporary social issues: wealth and poverty, law and order, impact of scientific and technological progress.
In addition to these topics of study, students will also complete two cultural topics: a study of the Languedoc region of France, including a study trip to Carcassonne, and a detailed study of the novel ‘Un sac de billes’ by Joseph Joffo. The cultural topics will also be examined in spoken and written form.
A-level French is examined in the following way:
Unit 3 - Listening, Reading and Writing: 2 hours 30 minutes written examination in June.
35% of A Level (110 marks)
Unit 4 - Speaking Test: 35 minutes speaking test (including 20 minutes preparation) in May.
15% of A Level (50 marks)
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Conyers School directly.