Global Studies A Level at The Latimer Arts College
This A Level is truly global in the issues it tackles and the areas we discuss. It looks at the pressures our planet is under and the threats and opportunities there are in its future management: from the rapid economic growth of China to the preservation of the Rainforests of Borneo; from the Hurricane season in Florida to the management of the Great Barrier Reef.
The course will provide you with:
- an issues-based approach to studying the world around us
- the skills to become critical, reflective and independent learners
- ways to approach issues with in enquiring mind
- the ability to analyse data and search for answers
- a subject that is seen as inherently multidisciplinary in a world that increasingly values people who have the skills needed to work across the physical and social sciences
Paper 1 - Dynamic Landscapes:
- Tectonic Processes and Hazards
- Landscape Systems, Processes and Change
- The Water Cycle and Water Insecurity
- The Carbon Cycle and Energy Security
- Climate Change Futures
Paper 2 - Dynamic Places:
- Shaping Places
- Global Development and Connections
Paper 3 – Synoptic:
These are over-arching themes designed to help students make links between differentbgeographical themes, ideas and concepts. The synoptic themes incorporate specialist geographical concepts such as interdependence and sustainability. We will focus on the following synoptic themes:
- Attitudes and actions
- Futures and uncertainties
Coursework: Independent Investigation
Candidates will be able to select the focus and context of the individual investigation. It may be either human, physical or integrated physical-human. This provides students with the opportunity to deepen their knowledge in an area of interest and develop their fieldwork skills.
GCSE Grade B in Geography
The course consists of externally examined papers and an independent investigation on a geographical issue.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact The Latimer Arts College directly.