Dental Nursing Advanced Diploma Level 3 at St Helens College
This advanced apprenticeship is an excellent opportunity for those who are looking to launch a career in dentistry.
You will focus on direct, chair side work and providing support during a range of dental treatments, to gain a strong understanding of dental equipment, instruments and materials.
The knowledge and theory behind dentistry will be provided once a week within the classroom at St Helens College. In addition to this, students will gain valuable work experience within a local dental practice four days a week.
During this course, you will cover the following units:
- Health and safety
- First aid and medical emergency
- Roles and responsibilities
- Decontamination procedure
- Infection control
- Assessment of oral health
- Restorative dentistry
- Extraction and minor oral surgery
You should have GCSEs at grade C or above in maths, English and one science subject.
You will be assessed through portfolio building, tutor observation and assignments.
If you are a school leaver, aged 16-18, (under the age of 19 on or before 31st August 2016), you do not pay tuition fees or examination and registration fees and may be eligible for additional support depending on your financial situation.
Once you have completed this course, you will be able to register with the General Dental Council (GDC).
You'll have a wide variety of career opportunities to choose from, such as:
- Senior dental nurse
- Specialist dental nurse in orthodontics or GA/sedation
- Oral health promotional officer
- Radiography protection supervisor
- Dental laboratory technician
- Practice manager
- Dental therapist
- Dental tutor
- Dental professional within the Ministry of Defence (British Army, Royal Air Force and Royal Navy)
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact St Helens College directly.