Geography AS and A level at Eastbrook Comprehensive School
The aims of the Edexcel Advanced Level GCE in Geography are to:
- Develop and apply understanding of geographical concepts and processes to understand and interpret our changing world.
- Develop awareness of the complexity of interactions within and between societies, economies, cultures and environments at scales from local to global.
- Develop as global citizens who recognise the challenges of sustainability and the implications for their own and others’ lives
- Become adept in the use and application of skills and new technologies through their geographical studies both in and outside the classroom.
- Be inspired by the world around them, and gain enjoyment and satisfaction from their geographical studies and understand their relevance.
Year 12- AS Outline
2 units studied:
Global challenges – The meaning, causes, impacts and management of global challenges. How we can influence global challenges through our own lives. There are two compulsory topics that form this unit:
- World at Risk
- Going Global
Geographical investigations - A closer look at how physical and human issues influence lives and can be managed. Students choose two topics from the four offered in this unit; there must be one physical and one human topic:
- Topic 1: Extreme Weather,
- Topic 2: Crowded Coasts.
- Topic 3: Unequal Spaces,
- Topic 4: Rebranding Places
Year 13- A2 Outline
2 units studied:
Contested planet - There are six compulsory topics:
- Energy Security,
- Water Conflicts,
- Biodiversity Under Threat,
- Superpower Geographies,
- Bridging the Development Gap
- The Technological Fix?
Geographical research Students must select and study one of the following research options:
- Option 1: Tectonic Activity and Hazards
- Option 2: Cold Environments – Landscapes and Change
- Option 3: Life on the Margins – the Food Supply Problem
- Option 4: The World of Cultural Diversity
- Option 5: Pollution and Human Health at Risk
- Option 6: Consuming the Rural Landscape – Leisure and Tourism.
Grade C or above in Geography and Maths as well a B in English language at GCSE level
AS: 2 exams at the end of the year for each unit
A2: 2 exams at the end of the year for each unit
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Eastbrook Comprehensive School directly.