BTEC Level 2 Subsidiary Diploma in Sport delivered at Dame Elizabeth Cadbury School at Dame Elizabeth Cadbury Technology College
The sport course at Dame Elizabeth is rigorous and challenging but is delivered by excellent teachers who will support and develop your skills. The course is made up of both written and practical assignments.
Jobs to get with a SPORT qualification A qualification in sports does not mean that you are limited to coaching; your qualification can be applied toward careers in a wide variety of areas, including education, sports management, the retail arena or sports medicine and science. Consider some of the jobs listed below as you make your career decision.
- Sports practitioner SportscoachUK www.sportscoachuk.org
- Fitness Industry Association www.fia.org.uk
- The Sports Recruitment Company www.sportsrecruitment.co.uk
- Talented Athlete Scholarship Scheme www.tass.gov.uk
- Government-funded programme to support young athletes in 47 sports
- Sports management
- British Horseracing Board www.britishhorseracing.com/inside_horseracing runs an annual graduate training scheme which offers placements in a wide variety of organisations linked to the racing industry. The site also includes a downloadable guide to careers and training in horseracing. Horseracing graduate programme www.careersinracing.com/getting-started/training/graduate/apply Closing date is usually about February.
- Darley Flying Start www.darleyflyingstart.com international management training Programme for the thoroughbred industry.
- Sports promotion
- Sportcal Global Communications www.sportcal.com business information for organisations involved in sport
- BDS Sponsorship Ltd , www.sponsorship.co.uk Work includes the Olympics, motor racing, the London Marathon
- Creating Excellence www.creatingexcellence.co.uk communications and marketing company, providing speakers, sports and health marketing and conference and events services
- Keith Prowse www.keithprowse.co.uk
- Sports hospitality
- Octagon www.octagon.com
- Sports marketing WAsserman
- Media Group www.wmgllc.com talent management and marketing agency, representing over 500 of the world’s elite professional athletes across a spectrum of sports
- Sports reporting The Guardian http://careers.guardian.co.uk/sports-journalism Q&A from a panel of sports journalism experts
- Football Journalism www.footballjournalism.co.uk/ Sports Journalists’ Association www.sportsjournalists.co.uk/ Advice on sports journalism from the NCTJ www.nctj.com/careers/sports-journalism/ Football Writers’ Association www.footballwriters.co.uk/new-writers/ Dan Walker (Football Focus) –
- My Route into the Media www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/danwalker/2009/09/my_route_into_the_media.html
- BBC Kick Off www.bbc.co.uk/careers/trainee-schemes/kick-offhas been used to recruit trainee sports reporters in the past ESPN http://espncareers.com/career-areas/multimedia.aspx
- Sky Sports www.workforsky.com
- Sports analysis Profile of a sports statistician www.guardian.co.uk/money/2011/jun/11/working-life-quantitative-analyst ATASS
- Sports www.atass-sports.co.uk
- Football Radar www.footballradar.co.uk
- Football analysts and “watchers” Prozone www.prozonesports.com Jobs and training courses
- Sports science British Association of Sport & Exercise Sciences www.bases.org.uk
- British Psychological Society www.bps.org.uk/careers information on careers in sport and exercise psychology
- English Institute of Sport www.eis2win.co.uk sports science, sports medicine and other support services
- Society of Sports Therapists www.society-of-sports-therapists.org Sport rehabilitation
- BASRaT www.basrat.org
- Sports equipment manufacture and retailing
- Decathlon www.decathlon.co.uk/EN French sports goods designer and retailer
- JJB sports www.jjb.co.uk/recruitment largest UK sports retailer
- Nike http://nike.jobpartners.com/jpapps/nike_emea job site for Europe, the Middle East & Africa Personal Trainer
Personal trainers provide programmes for clients to help them to achieve their health and fitness goals. Many are self-employed and others work in health clubs.
Physiotherapy, nursing and occupational therapy You would need to do another degree to retrain in these areas, but there are some shortened courses available for graduates and you may be eligible for an NHS bursary. See Nursing and Medical Therapies Dietetics and nutrition. Most dieticians work in hospitals, informing and teaching the public and health professionals about diet and nutrition. There is normally a good match between the amount of graduates applying and jobs available as dieticians. For information on these careers see www.kent.ac.uk/careers/workin/nursing.htm#Dietetics PE and primary teaching You would normally need to do a 1 year PGCE to train as a teacher.
Careers outside sport
Sport Health and Fitness graduates are attractive to many employers because of their personal transferable skills rather than the specific skills that they have gained during their degree course. These skills include the ability to analyse information in a logical way, numeracy and problem solving skills.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Dame Elizabeth Cadbury Technology College directly.