Geography AS/A2 Level at Norbury Manor Business and Enterprise College
This course aims to enable students to:
- Develop and apply their understanding of geographical concepts and processes to understand and interpret our changing world.
- Develop their awareness of the complexity of interactions within and between societies, economies, cultures and environments at scales from local to global.
- Develop as global citizens who recognise the challenges of sustainability and the implications for their own and others’ lives.
- Become capable in the use and application of skills and new technologies through their geographical studies both in and outside the classroom.
- Be inspired by the world around them, and gain enjoyment and satisfaction from their geographical studies and understand their relevance.
Students will be required to have achieved a grade B in a Humanities GCSE subject.
Two units make up the advanced subsidiary (AS) assessment and a further two A2 assessment units complete the four covered over the two years.
Unit 1: Global Challenges = 1hr 30min exam worth 60% of the AS.
- Topic 1: The World at risk
- Topic 2: Going Global
Unit 2: Geographical Investigations = 1hr 15min exam based on fieldwork worth 40% of AS.
- Topic 1: Crowded Coasts
- Topic 2: Re-branding
Unit 3: Contested Planet = 2hr 30min exam combining essay based questions and a synoptic (combined) question worth 60% of Yr 13.
6 Topics: Energy Security, Water Conflicts, Biodiversity Under Threat, Superpower Geographies, Bridging the Development Gap, The Technological Fix
Unit 4: Geographical Research= 1hr 30 min exam worth 40% of Yr13.
Students choose a research topic from a choice of 6 options.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Norbury Manor Business and Enterprise College directly.