Physical Education A Level at North Leamington School
The subject criteria requires students to:
- develop theoretical knowledge and understanding of the factors that underpin physical activity and sport and use this knowledge to improve performance
- understand how physiological and psychological states affect performance
- understand the key socio-cultural factors that influence people’s involvement in physical activity and sport
- understand the role of technology in physical activity and sport
- refine their ability to perform effectively in physical activity and sport by developing skills and techniques and selecting and using tactics, strategies and/or compositional ideas
- develop their ability to analyse and evaluate to improve performance
- understand the contribution which physical activity makes to health and fitness
- improve as effective and independent learners and as critical and reflective thinkers with curious and enquiring minds
The subject content is split into six areas:
1. Applied anatomy and exercise physiology
2. Biomechanical movement
3. Skill Acquisition
4. Sport Psychology
5. Sport and society
6. The role of technology in physical activity and sport
5 GCSEs or equivalent including Maths and English at grade 5 or above and an additional 3 at grade A*- C.
Excellent attendance during Year 11 (at least above 90%).
Behaviour and attitude to learning across all GCSE subjects studied to be at least good.
In exceptional circumstances students with a good GCSE profile but have not achieved either Maths or English to a grade 5 at the start of the programme may be considered.
We encourage all students to start with a 3 A level programme. However, in exceptional circumstances, we will consider a student studying a 4th subject.
A-Level PE is distinctly divided into two assessment methods; a Non-Examined Assessment (NEA) component and a written terminal examination. The NEA component of the qualification accounts for 30% of the overall grade (15% practical performance in one sport / 15% oral analysis of performance), whilst the remaining 70% is assessed through written examinations.
A-Level qualifications in this subject field are rapidly becoming an essential qualification for specialist study in PE and Sport Science in higher education.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact North Leamington School directly.