Sport & Active Leisure BTEC Diploma Level 1 at Bolton College
Our full-time study programmes are designed to maximise your career prospects and widen your options for further or higher study.
The Level 1 course provides a comprehensive introduction into the health, fitness and sports industry. You’ll investigate how the body works, and how to plan and take part in improving your own fitness and that of others. You’ll also investigate the sports industry and how to lead sporting activities as well as assist in organising and running a sports event.
Focus will be given to exploring job opportunities in the sports industry and the skills required to work in the industry, such as assessing risks and hazards, and dealing with accidents and emergency situations.
Work experience is also an integral part of our study programmes, enabling you to gain essential exposure to the world of work.
What you'll learn
Topics that you will cover include:
- Taking Part in Exercise & Fitness
- Planning Your Own Fitness Programme
- Improving Own Fitness
- Work Skills
- Job Opportunities in Sport & Active Leisure
- Working in Sport & Active Leisure
- How the Body Works
- Risks and Hazards in Sport & Active Leisure
Students get to go on day-trips and attend various active events.
We encourage our students to continue their English & maths study to Level 3.
Elements of study
Your programme consists of the following elements:
- Study of your chosen vocational subject
- English and maths (continued until the achievement of GCSE grade 4 (C) or equivalent)
- Employability skills (e.g. punctuality, attendance, communication and team work)
- Work experience (giving you a taste of working life)
- Tutorial & personal development (e.g. healthy living, volunteering and citizenship skills)
To do this course, we ask that you have GCSE grades 3-1 (D – G) and that you demonstrate a commitment to sport.
We will also invite you to come for an interview and ask to see a satisfactory school reference.
You will be assessed via a variety of written and practical assignments for each unit, and a final portfolio.
Government-funded Further Education courses are usually free if you are aged 16-18 and are a British or European Union resident. Financial help is available for some students, whose families are on low income. If you’re worried about the cost of going to College, why not pop in for a friendly chat with our Student Services team?
For any financial queries or information about available bursaries, feel free to contact Student Services at Deane Road by calling 01204 482 181/195 and asking for a member of the Student Finance Team; or alternatively, come by and see us – we’re here to help!
After you have completed the course you could remain in College and progress on to the Sport BTEC Diploma Level 2.
Alternatively, if you choose to look for paid work you could opt for an Exercise & Fitness or Activity Leadership (Coaching) Level 2 Apprenticeship and work as an Apprentice Fitness Instructor.
Check out opportunities at the University of Bolton by visiting www.bolton.ac.uk
Following further study you could work as:
- A Fitness Instructor where you could earn between £14,000 and £20,000 a year, depending on experience.
- A Personal Trainer, earning between £12,000 and £20,000 a year.
- A PE Teacher, earning between £22,000 and £32,000 a year.
We want to give you a positive experience at College and a rounded view of the industry you could one day be working in. So, during your time at College, you will have the opportunity to enjoy a range of activities, including:
- Meeting guest speakers from the industry
- Visiting local businesses
- Taking part in enrichment activities – such as social and sporting events, and getting involved in fundraising activities
Our £75 million campus offers:
- A fitness suite and sports hall
- Apple Mac suites
- A theatre and dance studios
- A café selling Costa coffee
- Wella-approved hair salons
We also have a wide range of events throughout the year including showcases, enterprise activities and cultural celebrations.
Number 1 for Achievement Rates
We’re the number one General Further Education College in Greater Manchester for 16-18 achievement rates for higher level qualifications.
Ofsted Grade 2 ‘Good’
In our last inspection we were graded 2 for ‘Good’. Ofsted highlighted the fact that our learners develop good employability and personal skills and that a high proportion progress to Apprenticeships, employment or Higher Education.
The College will support you throughout your time here; you will receive personal support from both your tutor and your Learning & Development Mentor. Support is also available from our dedicated Student Services team for personal, financial and careers guidance.
During their visit Ofsted commended the College for its provision of “well targeted information, advice and careers guidance, which meets individual needs and enables learners to make informed choices about the next steps in their learning and career”.
Discover what Bolton College can do for you by attending one of our Young People’s Open Events at our Deane Road campus.
Wednesday 17th October 2018, 4.30pm - 7pm
Thursday 22nd November 2018, 4.30pm - 7pm
Tuesday 5th February 2019, 4.30pm - 7pm
Wednesday 3rd October 2018, 3.30pm-7.30pm
How to apply
You can apply for this course through UCAS Progress. Add this course to your favourites so you can start making an application.