History A Level at Boston High School
The course comprises three units over two years.
In Year 12 The Tudors is a period study of British History in the reign of Henry VII & VIII looking at the reign of the King and the relation‐ ship with his country and Parliament . There are sections on foreign policy and also the whole relationship with the Catholic Church and the break from Rome. In Year 13 The Tudors continues through the reign of Edward, Bloody Mary and Elizabeth with themes around social and economic change, religious conflict and more rebellions that you can possibly imagine.
The second unit is a contrasting modern world enquiry into Germany between 1918 and 1945. This allows students the opportunity to study a period and place that most have heard about. Current world affairs are far more accessible to our students when they have completed this unit. Pupils can visit Berlin in Year 13 on our trip. Year 12 covers Weimar Germany and the Rise of the Nazis. Year 13 explores life in Nazi Germany.
The third unit is worth 20% and is an essay on any aspect of 100 years (pupils choose) of Russian/Soviet History between 1850 and 1963. It is written between February and April of Year 13.
The Coursework Unit deals with Russia between 1855 and 1953 and can cover any aspect of on social, economic or political aspect of life in Russia and the USSR. This is completed in Year 13.
You need ...
- B grade or above in History GCSE. C grades are acceptable and we will support you to ensure you make the transition.
- C/5 grades or above in other similar subjects are acceptable (with the same proviso for C grades).
2 x 2.hr 30 minute exams (2 x 40%)
1 x coursework essay: 3500 words (20%)
Where are your students now?
- Queen Mary’s London ‐ History 3 pupils
- Magdalene College Cambridge: History
- Nottingham History and Spanish
- Leicester: History and English
- Warwick University ‐ History and International Re‐ lations
- Loughborough University ‐ History + English
- University of Birmingham– History
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Boston High School directly.