Introduction to Professional Cookery Level 1 Diploma at North Hertfordshire College
Our catering and hospitality courses include lots of opportunities for you to get hands-on experience of the world of work, including:
- Work experience with businesses like Galvin at Windows, Alimentum, Hermitage Road and Hanbury Manor
- Visits to Billingsgate Seafood School, Hanbury Manor and Fine Food Fair
- Attending the Game to Eat Workshop for level 3 professional cookery students
- Attending the environmental health presentation.
Professional cookery: you’ll develop your basic catering skills by looking more closely at kitchen workplace skills; costing and menu planning; healthier food and special dietary requirements; practical gastronomy for fish, vegetable, meat, poultry, game dishes, bakery and pastry skills.
Through this course you’ll learn about:
- Food safety in catering
- The catering and hospitality industry
- Preparing and cooking food by boiling, poaching and steaming; stewing and braising; baking, roasting and grilling; deep frying and shallow frying
- Regeneration of pre-prepared food
- Healthier foods and special diets
- Cold food preparation.
To join this course, you’ll need four GCSEs at grade E or above – including maths and English grade E or entry level functional skills.
This course is assessed through assignments and projects. You’ll only sit exams if you’re also doing maths or English GCSE or functional skills.
Price on application.
Students may be charged additional costs to pay for course materials, uniform if required, trips and visits. Financial help may be available for these costs, please contact for more information.
You do not have to pay course fees if you are between 16 and 18 years old and have been living in the UK or an EU country for three years prior to starting your studies.
If you are over 18 please speak to a client advisor.
On completing the programme you will have a better idea of both front of house and kitchen roles. You will have the opportunity to stay at NHC and progress to a Level 2 Diploma in Professional Cookery or Level 2 Diploma in Food & Beverage Services. If directly entering the catering sector, you would normally enter at a lower level such as a commis chef or become an apprentice.
Please visit our website for further information - www.nhc.ac.uk
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact North Hertfordshire College directly.