Beauty - VRQ Level 1 Beauty Therapy at Calderdale College
Can you think of a better job than this...? As you are working, you are cruising in the Caribbean or working on set of the latest Blockbusting movie… You could be your own boss at 20… All this is possible if you train to work in any of the hair and beauty sectors and qualify from Level 1 to Level 3. Level 1 Hair and Beauty Therapy can be the first step to achieving this.
This qualification will give you the necessary skills and confidence as the course is exciting and creative and will give you a real taste of the industry. You will have the opportunity to engage in community work and work related activities during your course, and will have the opportunity to work on the reception and in the dispensary. You will complete Functional Skills. The areas you study will include:
- Introduction to the Hair & Beauty Sector – Career opportunities and services within the industry
- Presenting a Professional Image in a Salon – how to present yourself, communicate and behave in aprofessional environment
- Salon Reception Duties – Receiving clients, checking appointments, seating clients, taking care of clients’ belongings, giving services at reception – beverages, magazines, promoting the sale of products, services and treatments
- Provide Basic Manicure & Pedicure Treatments – File, soften cuticles, provide superficial foot and lower leg massage and superficial hand and arm massage and usevarnish
- Nail Art Application – carry out a basic nail art technique adapting the 2D nail art.
- Themed Face Painting – 2D themed face painting including party and glitter work
- Basic Make-up Application – day make-up, preparing the skin and applying day make-up
- Skin Care – prepare the skin using cleansers, toners and moisturisers
At least 4 GCSE’s at grade G or grade 1. We will consider applications from mature learners without the necessary entry requirements. You will be invited to an an interview with the specialist tutor where you will need to demonstrate creative flair and good communication skills. All applicants will be required to attend a Pre-Induction Day where dexterity and literacy and numeracy will be assessed.
The course is based on development and assessment of practical skills, underpinning knowledge which is assignment work and on line tests. Completion of assessments builds a portfolio of evidence.
In most cases students aged 18 and under who wish to enrol on a full time further education course will have their fees waived. Students who are aged 19 and over and who wish to enrol on a full time course should contact our Student Services Team on 01422-399367 for more information.
This qualification will give you a real taste of the industry, providing you with the basic skills and encouragement to continue into either the hairdressing or beauty therapy industry. The following qualifications are available to progress on to - VRQ Level Beauty Therapy or Hairdressing, NVQ Level Beauty Therapy Apprenticeship or Hairdressing.
The Advice and Guidance team provide impartial Student Advisors to give you information about College courses and provide initial guidance to help you choose which course is best for you. Our Student Advisors can also offer financial advice and assistance if you need help with childcare, equipment, fees or travel. Our Student Advisors, along with the C&K Careers team are also on hand to give you necessary help and guidance you need when you are progressing on to Further and Higher Education or employment.
To help you succeed in your course of study, we offer a range of services. For instance, you may have a learning difficulty and/or disability or other conditions which significantly affect your daily life. If you would like to discuss your support needs, or further information about what support is available, please don't hesitate to contact our Study Support team on 01422 399347.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Calderdale College directly.