Information Technology Level 3 - BTEC Level 3 Foundation Diploma/Extended Diploma at Exeter College
This course provides the knowledge, skills and understanding for learners thinking about employment as an IT practitioner working in a variety of technical roles. In your first year you will study the 90-credit Diploma progressing to the Extended Diploma in your second year. The BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in IT is offered with a choice of three pathways. There is a common first year programme giving a wide range of IT subjects. In the second year, students have the opportunity to select from specialisms in web design, animation, games development, programming, support or hardware maintenance. This qualification is the equivalent of three full A Levels.
Teaching is undertaken in both theoretical aspects and practical workshop-type environments. The Faculty has a dedicated IT Lab for students use which enables learners to investigate computer hardware within a controlled environment adding to the high practical content. You will also be expected to undertake a considerable amount of study in your own time, researching topics and working on assignments. Your personal tutor will advise, help and encourage you with your work at college.
Main (common) course units include:
- Computer Systems - the hardware and software of a modern PC and how it connects together
- Database Design - designing and creating databases using a relational database management system
- Information Systems - using and producing management information within a business context
- Human Computer Interaction - investigating the way we use technology, from mobile phones to the Xbox
- Website Production - understanding web architecture and creating interactive websites
Examples of specialist units include:
- IT Systems Troubleshooting and Repair - analysing and fixing problems with computer systems
- Developing Computer Games - be able to design, develop and test computer games across a range of platforms
- Event Driven Programming - developing the skills required to design and create computer applications
- 3D modelling – creating your own 3D movie using the latest software
- Maintaining Computer Systems - monitoring, maintaining and improving system performance
- Network Management - building and configuring a small client / server network
You need at least five GCSEs at Grade C including English Language and Maths at C or above. Learners progressing from a Level 2 course will need a BTEC Level 2 Diploma with a good Merit profile along with English and Maths at C or above (or equivalent). In addition, learners are expected to have an interest in computers and/or information technology, with a career aim in a computing related field.
The course has no exams and is assessed 100% through coursework; this could take the form of written work, question and answer sessions or practical demonstrations. We aim to provide a range of teaching and assessment methodologies to ensure variety and appeal across a broad spectrum.
The course is supported by two core text books, which will cost around £25.00 each. We recommend a flash pen drive of at least 8GB which will cost about £10. There are also costs relating to occasional group trips/outings and other related costs totalling £60.00.
You can either progress into IT-related employment or proceed into Higher Education such as Software Engineering, Computer Networks, Game Design and Programming, and Business Information Systems. Previous students have gone on to study subjects such as Computer Science, Ethical Hacking, Games Development and Networking at universities including Stafford, Bath, Plymouth and other respected Universities. Students wishing to stay within the Exeter area can progress on to our HND inComputing and Systems Development.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Exeter College directly.