Retail Apprenticeship at Bromley College of Further & Higher Education
Retail covers a host of businesses, from market stalls and independent shops to national chains and large superstores.
The Intermediate Level Apprenticeship covers a range of skills that can be used across this vast sector.
As an apprentice, your role will depend on your employer – you could be assisting customers on the sales floor of a high street store or handling their purchases.
Alternatively, you could be working in a specialist department and become a product expert, able to help with specific queries. An artistic flare could point you in the direction of visual merchandising, helping to create window and in-store displays. Or you could work behind the scenes in stock handling; ensuring products are received in the correct quantities and appropriately stored.
The skills gained from the Retail Apprenticeship are transferable to all retail companies. With a young workforce, the UK’s retail sector is vibrant and offers many opportunities for early career progression.
Qualifications and Units
- Level 2 certificate in Retail Skills
- Level 2 BTEC certificate in Retail Knowledge
- Level 1 functional skills in English, maths and IT
Level 2 Certificate in Retail Skills
- Work effectively in a retail team
Examples of optional units
- Check stock levels and sort out problems with stock levels in a retail environment
- Help customers to choose products in a retail environment
- Deal with customer queries and complaints in a retail
- Demonstrate products to customers in a retail environment
- Process payments for purchases in a retail environment
Level 2 BTEC Certificate in Retail Knowledge
- Understanding Customer Service in the Retail Sector
- Understanding the Retail Selling Process
- Understanding how Individuals and Teams Contribute to the Effectiveness of a Retail Business
- Understanding how a Retail Business Maintains Health and Safety On Its Premises
Examples of optional units
- Understanding Security and Loss Prevention in a Retail Business
- Understanding the Handling of Customer Payments in a Retail Business
- Understanding the Control, Receipt and Storage of Stock in a Retail Business
- Understanding Visual Merchandising For Retail Business
Qualifications required: Maths, English level 1
Employment Rights and Responsibilities (ERR)
Knowledge and understanding of the range of employer and employee statutory rights and responsibilities under Employment Law..
Employee rights and responsibilities are embedded within the Level 2 Certificate in Contact Centre Operations, which automatically covers the key Employee Rights and Responsibilities,
Personal Learning and Thinking Skills
- Essential skills for Retail apprentices
- Personal Learning and Thinking Skills are mapped into the qualifications within the Apprenticeship.
- E3 maths and English
Training providers and employers will use initial assessment to identify prior learning and experience so that they can tailor the Apprentice’s Individual Learning Plan only.
Employers may use a separate interview or application process to assess an individual’s suitability for employment with the health. Initial assessments will be completed by the college at Initial advise and guidance stage.
- Workplace assessment
Remote, online or workshops
To enrol onto this Apprenticeship, potential apprentices will need a contract of employment, working in a relevant electrical role for at least 30 hours a week and also be paid the National Apprenticeship minimum wage or above (£2.73 per hour).
After successfully completing this there is further opportunity to progress onto an Advanced Level Apprenticeship qualification.
Job roles suitable for
- Sales Assistant
- Stockroom Assistant
- Beauty Consultant
- Visual Merchandiser
- Fresh food Counter Assistant
Apprenticeships are now seen as valuable as degrees, combining both the practical skills and theoretical knowledge needed to succeed in the workplace and your chosen career. Some of the main benefits for apprentices include:
- Earn a salary
- Receive on the job training
- Gain a national recognised and industry standard qualification
- Learn job specific skills
- Get paid holidays
- Great prospects
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Bromley College of Further & Higher Education directly.