Extended Project Qualification A-level at Dixons Allerton Academy
This qualification is not in an option group and is open to all scholars who can show resilience and the ability to work independently. For this qualification you undertake a research project on a subject of your choice with the only proviso being it must not be covered in the syllabus content of any of your level 3 subjects.
This qualification is particularly highly regarded by the Russell Group universities. Some universities will give a reduced offer if a candidate gains a B or above in the EPQ. Others will take this grade into consideration if a candidate drops a grade in other subjects.
There will be a programme of lessons to deliver the skills required for the project and then tutorials are put in place to track progress.
- Research area identified
- Project plan put in place
- Literature search
- Research question finalized
- Research undertaken
- Essay completed
- Presentation and evaluation
Examples of Research Projects undertaken
- Is poor handwashing worse than no handwashing at all when trying to prevent the spread of infection?
- What pressures do designer labels place on teenagers?
- Have the UK government and World Health Organisation dealt with the recent Ebola Outbreak efficiently and does it still remain a threat?
- Can retail businesses survive without the use of digital marketing?
- How is architecture affected by the need to make buildings earthquake?resistant?
- Churchill called in 1946 for Europe to form a ‘united States of Europe’. Examine the extent to which his dreams were realised.
- Mass market protein supplements: Getting you ripped… or ripped off?
- Did the media representation of immigrants change British politics in the 2015 election?
- Will we be able to create a conscious artificial intelligence within the next 20 years?
- Is substance abuse a result of social problems (homelessness, poverty, alienation etc.) or do social problems arise due to substance abuse?
- These illustrate the range of projects undertaken
We will invite written expressions of interest in January 2018
The qualification is assessed on the process undertaken, the essay which is maximum 5000 words and the presentation
Careers and Opportunities for Further Study
This qualification is an opportunity for you to demonstrate an interest and enthusiasm for a subject you may want to study at university or, for a particular profession that you may wish to pursue.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Dixons Allerton Academy directly.