English Literature A level at Bridgwater College
This course will appeal to anyone who particularly enjoyed studying the subject at GCSE level, and individuals with an enthusiasm for reading and who enjoy examining ideas in detail.
Studying the A level English Literature course will help you to:
- Develop your interest in, and enjoyment of literature and literary studies through reading widely and independently
- Engage creatively with a range of texts and ways of responding to them
- Develop and apply effectively your knowledge of literary analysis and evaluation in speech and writing
- Explore the contexts of the texts you are reading and others’ interpretations of them
- Deepen your understanding of the changing traditions of literature in English
- Explore comparisons and connections between texts
Units of study include:
- Component 1 – Poetry
- Component 2 - Drama
- Component 3 - Texts in Time
- Component 4 - Period and Genre Study
You will need at least five GCSEs in A* – C range, including Maths and English Language or English Literature at grade C, or above, recommended at Higher Level.
You will be assessed by coursework submission and examinations. There is also an internal monitoring scheme to review your progress during the year and provide support and advice.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Bridgwater College directly.