Business AS/A Level at Brockenhurst College
This course is concerned with the management of business in all its aspects. It is designed to give you a critical understanding of organisations, their markets and their external environment. It provides a valuable insight into all financial aspects of commercial and non-commercial organisations. As a result you will learn to develop and apply a wide range of skills.
Many problems in the business world are solved using numerical analysis so you will develop your understanding of the quantitative methods businesses use to research and measure future objectives and actual performance. You will also discover that business activity is an integrated process where decisions made in one area e.g. finance, will have an impact on many other areas e.g. human resources and marketing.
At A level you will study:
- What is business?
- Managers, leadership and decision making
- Decision making to improve marketing performance
- Decision making to improve operational performance
- Decision making to improve financial performance
- Decision making to improve human resource performance
- Analysing the strategic position of a business
- Choosing a strategic direction
- Strategic methods: how to pursue strategies
- Managing strategic change
At AS and in the first year you will study the first 6 topics.
A variety of teaching and learning methods are used including individual and group work, structured lectures, class discussion and debate, case study analysis and visits e.g. BMW-Mini Plant, Paultons Park and New York.
You should already have an interest in business activity by listening to the news and reading around the subject. In addition you should have 5 GCSEs at grade C or above, including a B in English Language and a C in Maths.
You do not need to have taken a GCSE in Business Studies, but if you have, this should be at a grade C or above.
A level Business will be assessed through three end of course exams
- Paper 1: multiple choice questions, short answer questions and two essay-style questions
- Paper 2: three data response questions
- Paper 3: one compulsory case study followed by six questions.
You may also take the stand alone AS. Assessment at AS will involve 2 papers:
- Paper 1: two compulsory sections, including multiple choice, short answer questions and data response questions
- Paper 2: one compulsory case study consisting of seven questions.
You will need to buy textbooks for the course. The cost will be approximately £20 per year.
The subject is accepted as an entrance qualification for a wide variety of courses in higher education. It has a particular relevance for those who wish to specialise in business studies, banking, accountancy, retail management, human resource management, marketing and finance.
The knowledge and experience of business management you develop through the course will also be valuable for future employment in most areas.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Brockenhurst College directly.