Hair & Media Makeup Level 2 at Malvern Hills College
This qualification has been specifically designed for the 16-19 age group, and will develop the knowledge and skills to prepare learners for employment as a junior hair and make-up artist. Learners will have their hairdressing and make-up artistry skills assessed in a real or realistic working environment.
This qualification includes all the required elements to work effectively as a hair and make-up artist including
• Practical skills, the art of dressing hair, photographic make-up, applying make-up, client care, health and safety and creating an image based on a theme.
• Optional units may include - colouring hair using temporary colour, skin tanning, body art, cutting hair, themed face painting, eyelash and brow treatments and nail art.
• Related theory
• Functional Skills/GCSE/Enterprise qualification
• Competition work
• Work experience in a vocational related area
A large proportion of the course is spent in the College salons. This is where you will observe demonstrations and learn and develop the practical aspect of the course. You will work in a real salon environment, working on mannequins and clients. Separate theory input and tutorials will be taught in a classroom environment.
You will need to have four GCSEs at grade D (or above) or equivalent (which should ideally include English and Science). You may also apply for this course if you have obtained a Level 1 Hairdressing and Beauty Therapy qualification. You should also have good communication skills, an outgoing personality and the ability to work as part of a team. Entry for all students is subject to a successful interview.
Students will be assessed through practical assessments within the College salon, assignment work and on-line exams.
Career opportunities as a junior hair and make-up artist exist in a variety of contexts, including:
- Commercial hair and beauty salons
- Independent/self-employed/mobile/home-based settings
- Product manufacturing and training
Whilst this qualification's primary purpose is to prepare learners for employment as a junior hair and make-up artist, learners may choose to develop their skills further by undertaking Technical Level qualifications at Level 3, including:
- Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Beauty Therapy Make-Up
- Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Hairdressing
- Level 3 Diploma in Theatrical, Special Effects and Hair and Media Make-Up
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Malvern Hills College directly.