Accessibility links

Fine Art A Level at The Blue School

Course description

Experimenting with a range of media in 2D and 3D, students develop their existing creative and technical skills, producing a varied and exciting portfolio of work. Working to broad themes for coursework and exam components, there is the opportunity to develop ideas, with the only limit being imagination. Alongside fundamental drawing and painting techniques, students are also able to explore printmaking, photography and sculpture. As part of the course there are opportunities to take part in study visits to national contemporary galleries.

Course content

The A level consists of two Components which you will complete over the two years. Component 1 is made up of two projects and a personal study, the first project completed in Year 12 and the second and the personal study at the start of Year 13; this is also referred to as ‘coursework’ and is worth 60% of your final mark. Component 2 is an externally set project culminating in a 15 hour practical exam; the remaining 40% of your A level marks. At the start of the coursework component you will be completing a set of initial workshops which will last for 6 weeks; involving completing exercises with a variety of media, linked to different artists and culminating in a 'Final Piece'. From week 7 until Christmas you will be completing a Self-Guided Project which allows you to explore your own ideas, culminating in a second and more developed 'Final Piece'. Alongside the work completed in lessons it is your responsibility to research into artists and develop your work in your own time. 

Entry requirements

5 GCSE’S at A*-C including grades for English and mathematics as below:

  •          English Language – New grade 4 or above
  •          Mathematics – New grade 4 or above


  • Component 1: Coursework - 60% of total A Level marks
  • Component 2: Externally Set Assignment - 40% of total A Level marks

Future opportunities

We encourage and develop creative thinking and independent learning: both are skills which enable success in a wide range of careers. At the end of their A level course, students will have a practical portfolio of work. This is an essential requirement for entry into Art Foundation and will also support application into degrees such as fine art, sculpture, illustration, photography, textile design, theatre design, graphic design, architecture, art history, 3D design and media.

How to apply

If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact The Blue School directly.

Last updated date: 05 January 2017

Key information