German AS & A Level at Hornsea School and Language College
The A-level languages course covers many aspects of society of the country of the language being studied as well as the study of a set film (year 12) and set book (year 13). As well as the A-level qualification you will gain an in depth knowledge of the culture of Germany.
Students may progress to commence a degree in languages or another subject at university. A-Level German is useful for careers in business, industry, teaching and working in Europe.
You will cover aspects of society and artistic culture of Germany. You will develop listening, reading, writing & speaking skills.
- Listening, reading and translation into English.
- Written exam, 1 hour 45 minutes
- Translation in to German and an essay in German about a film you have studied from a set list.
- Written exam, 1 hour
- A speaking exam based upon 2 stimulus cards on aspects of society and artistic culture of Germany.
You will cover aspects of society and artistic culture, multiculturalism and political life of Germany. You will continue develop your listening, reading, writing and speaking skills.
- Listening, reading and translation
- Written exam, 2 hours 30 minutes
- Two essays about the set film and set book
- Written exam, 2 hours
- A speaking exam based upon 1 stimulus card and a presentation and discussion of an individual research project.
Minimum grade B in GCSE German and 5 A*-C GCSE including English and maths
- Y13: Paper 1, 40%
- Y13: Paper 2, 30%
- Y13: Paper 3, 30%
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Hornsea School and Language College directly.