Agriculture- Level 1 Diploma - Netherfield at Plumpton College
This one year programme is designed for school leavers and offers a route to employment or possible progression on to a Level 2 programme.
You will normally spend between 2 and 3 days in College with the remainder of your time available for work experience. The programme is at level 1 and is available in three options which allows you to develop your practical agricultural skills and give you the flexibility to study at a pace most suitable to you. Your tutor will help you decide which subjects to study.
You can look forward to a varied programme of modules that also includes a work placement. You’ll also continue your English and Maths up to GCSE level. Modules include:
- Farm Animal Movements
- Farm Animal Health & Welfare
- Introduction to Farm Animal Husbandry
- Introduction to Health & Safety
- Tractor Driving
- Assist with the maintenance of equipment
- Maintain the safety of self and others
- Assist with movement of animals
- Assist with preparing livestock accommodation
- Assist with monitoring livestock outdoors
- Assist with animal accommodation
- Care of farm animals
- Farm animal heath
- Assist with basic operation of a tractor
- Understanding soils
- Self management skills
- Working in a team
- English & Maths
- You’ll need to have achieved 1 or more GCSEs between Grade E-G (new grades 2-1) or another related Entry Level 3 qualification
- Completion of the Rural Pathways programme and a strong interest in agriculture
- Successful completion of a Level 1 course in another area
Mature students without the above requirements will be considered
- 16-18 exempt
- 16-18 exempt
This course gives you a fantastic start to your agricultural career. You’ll be able to choose whether to go on to complete a Level 2 programme or a traineeship, working towards gaining a full apprenticeship.
Come and discover our excellent agriculture facilities at Plumpton - set in the backdrop of the beautiful South Downs. You’ll find the latest state of the art equipment plus all the different types of farmland for you to experience here at Plumpton.
- Lots of space for you to work in
Our 780-hectare commercial farming estate gives you the opportunity to experience different livestock and arable farming.
- The latest equipment for you to discover
We’ve got a modern 300 cow dairy unit complete with 36:36 Herringbone milking parlour where you’ll gain hands-on experience.
- An extensive range of livestock for you to experience
You’ll get to work with our Sussex beef cattle, sow pig unit plus our extensively managed flock of 550 sheep.
- The perfect environment for you to study
You’ll enjoy practical lessons where you’ll gain hands-on farming experience in our modern classrooms and farming sites.
How to apply
You can apply for this course through UCAS Progress. Add this course to your favourites so you can start making an application.