Biomedical Science BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma at Seevic College
Biomedicine is a practical course ideal for those wishing to pursue a career in the medical field, including medical science, nursing, radiography or one of the many other fields in the NHS.
Biomedicine covers a wide range of topics across the three broad disciplines of science:
Each of these is approached from a medical view point and will develop your understanding of the importance of science in modern medicine.
The course draws from the scientific knowledge you learn in the classroom to aid in developing a high level of practical laboratory skills that will stand you in good stead for either further study or the work place.
- Principles and Applications of Science
- Scientific Procedures and Techniques
- Laboratory Techniques and their Application
- Investigation Project
- Biology – including Physiology of the Human Body, Genetics, Biological Molecules and Metabolic Pathways and Biomedical Techniques
- Physics – Medical Physics and Cryogenics and Vacuum Technology
- Chemistry – Practical Chemical and Applications of Organic Chemistry analysis
- General Science – Forensic Science.
General Entry Requirements
- Five GCSEs (minimum) Grade C/4 or above including English Language or Maths. If your English Language is a D/3, your Maths must be at least a C/4 and vice versa.
- A Level 2 BTEC Diploma or above and GCSE English Language or Maths at grade C/4 or above.
Specific Entry Requirements
- Grade C/4 or above in at least two Science GCSEs (or equivalent)
- Grade C/4 or above in GCSE Maths
- Grade C/4 or above in GCSE English Language.
The course is a theory based course with practical elements and assessments built into it. Assessment will be through continuous assignments taught through lectures, practical laboratory work, presentations, independent research tasks, trips and guest speakers.
You will sit two exams in your first year, the workload is substantial and good organisational and time management skills are essential. This is a very practical course, with a heavy emphasis independent research.
This qualification could prepare you for work in the science industry, in particular in the NHS and other biomedical fields. You could also progress on to Higher Education to study a range of scientific degrees including: Pharmacy, Biomedicine, Forensics and Zoology.Former student success
Ex-student Vicky studied the Extended Diploma in Applied Science at Seevic and achieved D*D*D. She is now working in the Microbiology and Virology laboratories in Basildon Hospital, who are also funding her to undertake a four year degree to become a qualified Biomedical Scientist. The course aided her in developing her practical microbiology techniques and theoretical knowledge of how diseases are transmitted. She now uses these skills every day in the laboratory. Vicky’s advice to prospective students: “I enjoyed doing the BTEC course, I had no idea that Applied Science would be so useful to me when I was doing it. Put the work in to get the best grade you can, because you never know what job you will end up doing.”
- A mixture of theory and practical allowing you to put into practice what you learn in the classroom.
- Tutors from a variety of industrial back grounds will help you relate theory to the workplace.
- Opportunity of work experience over the two years – allowing you to develop excellent employability skills.
- Unrivalled support, workshop and help sessions run throughout the year by your Tutors.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Seevic College directly.