Games Development BTEC Subsidiary/Extended Diploma Level 3 at City College Plymouth
Do you want to become a Games Designer? Do you play Grand Theft Auto and think it can be improved? Then this study programme is the one for you! We'll show you how the games development industry works, and teach you the skills you need to work within it. You will develop your ability within all areas of game design on this exciting and immersive course. On completion of your first year, you will gain a subsidiary diploma and will have the chance to progress to a full extended diploma.
You will study games design including the use of digital graphics and the various platforms and technologies within the industry. This course continues the focus on the design and production aspects of games development.
The diploma part of this course allows you to hone your skills in a range of subjects which you will use when you progress to a career in the games development industry.
The course maintains the focus on the design and product aspects of games development through:
- the development of level design skills
- the use of industry-standard 3D game development software
- the investigation of various platforms and technologies used within the industry
- the development of both 2D and 3D game levels to add to your portfolio
- the creation of a game story.
There is also a requirement to complete functional skills and a project unit.
Your individualised study programme will be made up of the following four areas:
- the qualification you are studying
- English and maths
- work experience
- other activities to develop your personal skills e.g. preparing you for employment, training or higher/further education.
In our experience in order to be successful on this course you will need one of the following:
- four GCSEs at grades A*-C, including English and maths
- a full BTEC Level 2 qualification at MERIT grade in a relevant subject area, such as Computing or Media.
Assessment is via a mix of assignments completed in College and at home. There is a portfolio for the project unit and exams for functional skills.
On successful completion of the extended diploma you may progress to:
- a level 4 course in multimedia or gaming at the College
- employment within the gaming industry as, for example a games tester, a games designer or a general software developer.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact City College Plymouth directly.