Art & Design (Fashion) UAL Level 3 Extended Diploma at Macclesfield College
On the fashion pathway you will embrace the full creative process of a young Fashion Provocateur!
The course nurtures the potential for developing a unique handwriting and a personal aesthetic. Explore, experiment and evaluate a vast wealth of skills and approaches to the fashion industry including:
- Drawing, print making and fashion illustration
- Historical and contemporary research
- Design development
- Professional portfolio presentation
- Conceptual shape making and pattern cutting
The structure of the qualification, with units linked to provide coherence, will allow learners to synthesize newly acquired practical skills with theoretical knowledge and understanding as they explore their aptitude and ambition and the particular characteristics
of a broad range of art and design disciplines.
Learners will be encouraged to recognize, not only the unique characteristics of different disciplines, but also the dynamic and potentially innovative relationships between those disciplines, particularly in a technologically driven environment. Fashion is one of the specialist pathways within the course.
The qualifications will require learners to develop a coherent and effective working methodology, through immersion, reiteration and reinforcement, which will enable them to react positively and creatively across a diverse range of assignments and creative activities within Fashion.
During this course you will cover the following:
- Have a critical and contextual awareness of different perspectives and approaches within art, design or related subjects of study or work in Fashion
- Research, analyze and evaluate relevant information and ideas in order to develop creative solutions in Fashion
- Understand, adapt and safely use appropriate and practical methods and skills for creative production in Fashion
- Solve complex problems through the application of practical, theoretical and technical understanding in Fashion
- Critically review the effectiveness and appropriateness of methods, actions and results
- Use evaluative and reflective skills in order to take responsibility for own learning, development and decision making
- Take responsibility for the research, planning, time management and actions to access progression opportunities.
- Effectively present yourself and your work to appropriate audiences through internal and external exhibitions of work and presentations
Alongside your main programme of study you will also study either GCSE or Functional Skills in English and Maths if you have not achieved a GCSE grade C or above. If you have achieved a grade C or above in GCSE English and Maths, you will engage in extending these skills through a Directed Study Programme.
For this course you will need to have achieved one of the following:
- 4 GCSEs at Grade C or above including Art & Design
- Level 2 Diploma in Art & Design at Merit grade
On receipt of your application to study this course you will be invited to attend an admissions interview with a member of the teaching team to discuss the course and its requirements further. You will be required to present a portfolio of your work at this interview.
The UAL Level 3 Extended Diploma units are assessed through a portfolio of evidence, practical demonstration and assignment work. There are no external examinations. An overall grade of Pass, Merit or Distinction will be awarded on the exhibition of your
final major project in your chosen specialist area.
GCSE and Functional Skills qualifications are assessed through external examination and portfolio work.
On successful achievement of this course you may wish to:
- Apply to study at Higher Education to undertake the Foundation Studies, HND or BA Hons dregree
- To pursue career opportunities within the creative industries
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Macclesfield College directly.