Design & Technology: Food Technology AS/A2 Level at Nottingham Academy
This course is designed to encourage students to:
– Develop a broad view of design and technology.
– Develop their capacity to design and make products.
– Appreciate the complex relations between design, materials,
manufacture and marketing.
At AS, you will study nutrition and design and making food
products. Knowledge of food science and the wide range of
materials and components used in the making of food
products are developed. You are given the opportunity to
develop and solve a problem relating to food design and
making in the coursework, whilst the examination tests
knowledge, understanding and design skills.
At A2, You build further upon the knowledge and practical
skills gained at AS level. You will continue to develop design
work, alongside an understanding of food science, processes
and commercial food manufacture.
Units covered at AS
– Unit 1 (FOOD1): Materials, Components and Application.
– Unit 2 (FOOD2): Learning Through Designing and Making.
Units covered at A2
– Unit 3 (FOOD3): Design and Manufacture.
– Unit 4 (FOOD4): Design and Making Practice
5+ A*-C grades at GCSE including C
grade or above in English and C in
GCSE design and technology course
– Unit 1: Materials, Components and Application
50% of AS, 25% of A Level – 2 hour written paper.
– Unit 2: Learning Through Designing and Making
50% of AS, 25% of A Level – Coursework –
approx. 50 hours.
– Unit 3: Design and Manufacture
25% of A Level – 2 hour written paper.
– Unit 4: Design and Making Practice
25% of A Level – Coursework – approx. 60 hours.
– Food Technologist.
– Food scientist.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Nottingham Academy directly.