Barbering NVQ Diploma Level 2 at Wakefield Adult and Community Education Services
Level 2 Barbering provides the specialist knowledge and develops a particular set of skill necessary to become a Junior Stylist. Carrying out treatments including basic cutting, styling, drying and finishing.
The qualification needs a minimum of 37 credits, 28 from mandatory units and 9 credits from optional units, at least 1 from each group.
Mandatory units are:
- 001 Reduce risks to health & safety
- 013 Advise and consult with clients
- 014 Shampoo, condition and treat the hair and scalp
- 025 Cut hair using barbering techniques
- 026 Cut facial hair to shape using basic techniques
- 027 Dry and finish men’s hair
Optional group 1
- 028 Create basic patterns in hair
- 023 Perm and neutralise hair
- 029 Change men’s hair colour
Optional group 2
- 019 Salon reception duties
- 021 Develop and maintain effectiveness at work
- 012 Give clients a positive impression of you and the organisation
- 020 Promote additional services or products to clients
This course is suitable for people who:
- are interested in working in hairdressing or barbering
- may have completed a level 1 qualification in hairdressing or barbering
- may have worked in another occupation
- direct from school or college
The units are assessed using a variety of methods:
- Written test with a 70% achievement rate
- Practical tasks that need to be carried out within the maximum service times.
- Observation, work log /witness testimony
- Portfolio of evidence
£370 although you may be entitled to either a free course or support with your fees and other costs. Please ask at your centre.
It is essential that you practice your skills at home. For this you will need to purchase a head block.
All learners need to wear a uniform that is of industry standard, this includes a black tunic, black trousers or skirt and plain black shoes which are flat or low heeled. Detailed information will be given to learners during induction in the first session.
16-18s the course is free
16-18s can apply for a bursary at enrolment (if eligible).
This qualification provides progression opportunities for those interested in working in a supervisory capacity or more technical role, or onto level 3 qualifications.
Contact the 16-18 senior tutor/mentor - Peter Bell
by email at
To arrange an assessment/interview before you enrol.
How to apply
You can apply for this course through UCAS Progress. Add this course to your favourites so you can start making an application.