Sports Leader’s Award at Reigate College
This Level 2 award is for people over the age of 16 who are interested in sport and recreation. It gives an introduction to the basic skills of organising groups of people in safe, enjoyable physical activity sessions.
The Sports Leader’s Award is divided into the following units:
- Developing leadership Skills
- Planning, leading and evaluating sport/physical activity sessions
- Assisting in planning and leading a sports/physical activity event
- Leading sport/physical activity sessions
Candidates must be aged 16 or over at the time of registration. Students should have good communication and interpersonal skills as well as a passion for sport.
All SLA students are assessed on a continuous basis throughout the course. Opportunities are offered to the candidates to demonstrate their practical leadership skills and knowledge.
Assessment is in the form of:
- observations of performance on sports coaching sessions
- portfolio of sports coaching plans
- completion of ten hours of community coaching or sports volunteering
The exam board for the Sports Leader’s Award is Sports Leaders UK
This course is essential for any student wishing to pursue a career in Sports Coaching, Teaching and Sports Development. Previous students have used the qualification to help secure employment as Sports Coaches within the UK and overseas and to support university applications for teaching and sports coaching.
Sports Leader’s Award students have the opportunity to take part in a variety of course related experiences. In recent years, these have included:
- District Sportshall Athletics Competition: officiating at a number of events, demonstrating activities, motivating and encouraging all the primary school competitors
- wheelchair basketball
- Assisting with the organisation and management of Sports Relief events
- Visits to local primary schools to organise sports competitions
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Reigate College directly.