Physics A Level at Mildenhall College Academy
What is the course like?
- Assessment is linear (all exams are at the end of the course).
- Greater emphasis on mathematical skills (40%), including data analysis.
- Core practical skills development.
What to expect in year 12:
- Five hours teaching per week.
- The expectation to complete 3-4 hours of independent study per week.
- Detailed feedback and targets for improvement.
- Regular assessment using past exam papers.
- The expectation to seek further support when needed.
During your studies of Physics at MCA 6 , you will have the opportunity to develop your knowledge and understanding of traditional physics and begin to study the two key ideas concerning physics research at the moment. Astrophysics deals with the Physics of the universe, how it was formed, how it developed and continues to operate. This includes unsolved issues like the existence of Dark Matter, the nature of Black holes and the concept of Einstein’s Space- time nature of the Universe. Contrasting this is the relatively new area of Quantum physics, the study of particles and their unpredictable behaviour. This involves understanding how the LHC at CERN discovers new particles including the Higgs Boson and how these particles make up all of the matter that exists. You will also study topics including; Materials (Fluids and Solids under stress), Light and Waves (Including Wave particle duality), Nuclear and Particle Physics (Standard Model, Particle accelerators and radioactive decay), Thermodynamics (Thermal Energy and Ideal gases) and Oscillations including Simple Harmonic Motion and Resonance.
- At least a grade B at GCSE in Physics (or Science) and Maths.
- Commitment to studying Maths to at least AS level.
- An interest in physics beyond the classroom
There will be three examinations at the end of the course. The content from topics 1-13 will be tested across these papers. Students will also be assessed throughout the course on their practical skills during core practicals. They will not be graded on their skills but the content is tested in the exams.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Mildenhall College Academy directly.