English Language and Literature at Brentwood County High School
You should study English Language and Literature in the Sixth Form if you are someone who:
- Have an interest in reading a wide variety of literary and non-literary texts; both contemporary and those of earlier centuries.
- Enjoy expressing your opinions and justifying your comments.
- Enjoy the challenge of writing in a variety of styles for different audiences and purposes.
- Enjoy studying a subject that is relevant to your own lives and experiences and that combines well with any other A levels.
- Wants to keep your options open for further study – English Language and Literature is a popular qualification for a wide range of courses in higher education or for future careers.
- At AS level you will study a range of literary and non-literary texts from a small anthology based on a common theme, currently ‘Food’. You will also complete two pieces of coursework. For A2 you will cover two sections: one on a set drama text and one on a variety of transcripts of ‘real’ talk and examples of talk in literature. The coursework element requires you to transform two literary works chosen from a prescribed list of major writers into a different genre or sub-genre.
Students must have at least grade B in the subjects chosen for study
Must have at least grade C in English.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Brentwood County High School directly.