BTEC Sport (Performance and Excellence) Level 3 at Abbotsfield School
This is a Level 3 course. It can be selected as a single, double or triple award option (equivalent to 1, 2 or 3 A levels).
The BTEC Nationals in Sport have been developed in the sport and active leisure sector to:
• Provide education and training for sport, leisure and recreation employees.
• Give opportunities for sport, leisure and recreation employees to achieve a nationally recognised Level 3 vocationally specific qualification.
• Give full-time learners the opportunity to enter employment in the sport and active
• leisure sector or to progress to higher education vocational qualifications such as theEdexcel BTEC Higher Nationals in Sport or related areas
• Give learners the opportunity to develop a range of techniques, personal skills and
• attributes essential for successful performance in working life.
There are 4 core units that ALL students will study:
Unit 1: Principles of Anatomy and Physiology in Sport
Unit 2: The Physiology of Fitness
Unit 3: Assessing Risk in Sport
Unit 7: Fitness Testing for Sport and Exercise
Single award students will study an additional 3 topics, double award an additional 9 topics and triple award an additional 15 topics.
Students will have passed a majority of their GCSEs and have an inherent interest and enjoyment in sport.
Students must also be prepared to take a full practical role in a range of sports.
Work is assessed continuously throughout the year; students will achieve a Pass, Merit, Distinction, or Distinction* for each award taken.
The BTEC Nationals in Sport provide an introduction to the sector for learners looking to build a career in sport, within one of its occupational areas. These areas include careers in exercise and fitness, teaching PE, coaching and leadership, sports development and the outdoors.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Abbotsfield School directly.