Exercise, Health and Fitness Instructing - Level 2 VTCT Diploma at City of Oxford College
Start your route into a career as a fitness instructor with our Level 2 VTCT Diploma in Exercise, Health and Fitness Instructing.
You develop practical skills in gym-based exercise, delivery of leisure activities and fitness testing, and become an approved emergency first aider too.
- VTCT Level 2 Diploma in Exercise, Health and Fitness Instructing
- Emergency First Aid at Work (EFAW) certificate – valid for three years
VTCT is the Vocational Training Charitable Trust.
You also improve the wider skills vital for success in further study or employment, including self-confidence, speaking in front of others, working with others, taking responsibility and managing your time. By the end of the course you will have gained a valuable insight into future careers open to you.
You study the following modules:
- Reflect on and develop own practice in providing exercise and physical activity
- Understanding employment rights and responsibilities
- Understanding the active leisure and learning sector
- Understanding the employing organisation
- Anatomy and physiology for exercise
- Know how to support clients who take part in exercise and physical activity
- Health, safety and welfare in a fitness environment
- Principles of exercise, fitness and health
- Planning gym-based exercise
- Instructing gym-based exercise
- Management of illness and injury in activities
- Emergency first aid skills
- Factors affecting participation in sport and physical activity
- Fitness testing and training
- Leading a healthy lifestyle
- People skills in sport and active leisure
- Plan, deliver and evaluate sport and leisure activities
- Safeguarding and protecting children and young people in sport and active leisure
- Understanding the role of nutrition in exercise
To apply for this Diploma in Exercise, Health and Fitness Instructing, you need;
-4 GCSEs at grade C or above, (including one from English or maths, and one from PE or Science). A Level 2 functional skills qualification in maths and English will be considered.
If you have alternative qualifications/knowledge that is relevant to the area of study, we will take this into account as part of the conditional offer. Please discuss this with the teaching team.
You will have an initial assessment consisting of literacy and numeracy, and your offer is subject to a successful interview and positive approach on a taster day.
Individual learning targets are set each term and you receive regular feedback on your progress in meeting these targets.
Formal assessment is through assignments, projects, presentations and practical assessments which are set at regular intervals throughout the course.
This qualification is approved by the Register of Exercise Professionals (REPs). Upon successful completion of this qualification you will be eligible to register onto the REPs as a Level 2 Fitness Instructor (gym-based exercise).
You spend three days a week in college for classroom and IT sessions, and you do hands-on sport/gym activities at Oxford Brookes Centre for Sport.
You will need general sport clothing (tracksuit, t-shirt and trainers), and a USB stick/memory stick for your studies.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact City of Oxford College directly.