Drama and Theatre Studies AS/A Level at Richard Taunton Sixth Form College
Drama and Theatre Studies A level is a phase two reform subject and as such the specifications are currently only available in draft form. The information below is taken from the QCA as indicative content and as such, may change.
Knowledge and understanding of drama
- Study of two set plays
- Analysis and evaluation of the work of live theatre makers
Process of creating devised drama
- Performance of a devised drama as a performer, designer or director
- Devised work must be influenced by the work and methodologies of a prescribed practitioner
Practical exploration and interpretation of three extracts
- Practical exploration of three extracts, each from a different play
- Reflective report analysing and evaluating theatrical interpretation
- At least five GCSEs at grade C or above, to include English Language
- Experience in performing and reading plays is absolutely essential
- GCSE Drama or equivalent is useful, but not essential
Students studying Theatre Studies often go on to study at the top Drama schools and universities, and have exciting careers in the creative industries, one of the biggest employment sectors in the UK.
Students can pursue their interests and develop their skills in a range of practical drama elements including acting, directing, costume, setting, mask and technical design. Our students achieve outstanding results in drama, and local drama specialists often acclaim our performances. The specification offers students the freedom to choose both the content and the form of their practical presentations at each level. Assessment for the practical units takes account of the students’ contribution throughout the preparation period, as well as of their final performance.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Richard Taunton Sixth Form College directly.