Accessibility links

A Level Biology at The Boswells School

Course description

A-level Biology involves the study of awide spectrum of exciting topics, ranging from Molecular Biology to the study of Ecosystems and from microorganisms to mammoths. It is one of the most popular A-level subjects in the country, attracting students studying a wide range of other subjects. Many of these students enjoy the subject so much that they eventually choose a biologically related degree course.

The Biology course helps students develop a number of skills including: collecting and evaluating data, investigating facts and using deduction, putting over your point of view effectively, and taking responsibility for your own learning.

A-level Biology opens the door to a vast range of career opportunities including medicine, dentistry, veterinar

y science, physiotherapy, pharmacy, nursing, marine biology or forensic science.

We offer A-level Biology with the AQA exam board. It is made up of six units, three in year 12 (AS-level), and three in year 13 (A2-level). Four of these units are assessed by examinations in the summer term, two in year 12, two in year 13. Together these exams make up 80% of the A-level with the remaining 20% coming from two practical assessments, one carried out in each year known as Practical and Investigative Skills Assignments.

Our year 13 students have to opportunity to attend a field trip where they are able to boost their knowledge of Ecology and Biological statistics by taking part in some real hands on studies out in the field.

How to apply

If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact The Boswells School directly.

Last updated date: 26 September 2014

Key information

  • Start date: Next September
  • Duration: 1-2 Years

Venues