Sociology - AS/A Level at Grŵp Llandrillo Menai
Would you like to develop your understanding of sociological thought and methodology? This course is designed for a wide range of students from diverse backgrounds and age groups, who want to explore these areas. It prepares you for employment and Higher Education, as well as giving you the critical skills to critically explore society institutions and individual identities.
This course is delivered as follows:
- Group work
- Classroom based learning
- Tutorial support
- Educational visits
- MOODLE (virtual learning environment)
- 5 GCSEs grade C or above to include Mathematics and English or Welsh (1st language), at least a grade B in GCSE English or English Language or Welsh (1st language) and at least a grade B in a Humanities* subject GCSE.
- Examples of Humanities* subjects are Geography, History, Religious Studies and Sociology.
- Specific additional entry requirements will be discussed with you at interview.
- Entry onto the full A Level is based on your performance at AS Level.
All places are subject to satisfactory interview.
The course is assessed by external examination in January (units SY1 and SY3) and in June (units SY2 and SY4).
Whether you gain the full A Level or just the AS Level, the course adds to your qualifications and helps you to progress. You will gain UCAS points and be able to apply for a range of Higher Education courses at many institutions. This includes degrees in Sociology, Criminology, Law, Media Studies, Politics, and Philosophy, as well as many other options.
The course also prepares you for a variety of careers, either directly or after Higher Education. This includes roles in journalism and the media, policing, law, politics, nursing, health and social care, education and local government.Career opportunities
- University level course such as a Foundation or Honours Degree
- Continue with studies with a work-based qualification at the college
Programme code: 0014C03B
This programme is available bilingually at the following campus(es):
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Grŵp Llandrillo Menai directly.